Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Fuel accumulator part number

Old 06-10-22, 03:03 PM   #1
4WDrifter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Fuel accumulator part number

Can someone tell me the part number for the fuel accumulators on a 1988 MB?
I can’t see it anywhere on audi.7zap.
Thanks.
4WDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 03:22 PM   #2
K Simmonds
Classic Audi Club Member

I can't help with the part numbers...

However I do know one can use the unit from a MK1 Golf GTI for just about any Audi K-jet cars from the 80's and very early 90's. It's slightly longer than most of them but the fittings are the same, you may have to modify the strap that hold's the unit to the bracket/floor on some models. But it's a straight fit for my 1989 2.0 80 which is handy, I have one on the shelf of my workshop waiting to go on.

Though that might be handy if your stuck.

Also brand new ones are really stupidly expensive for what they are, so be ready for shock!

Last edited by K Simmonds; 06-10-22 at 03:24 PM.
K Simmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 06:29 PM   #3
vagdream
Grown up member

I believe the Audi part number is 447133441 and the Bosch number is 0438170052 but as stated above they retail for silly money. I picked up one recently as part of an Amazon offer but had to wait 6 weeks for delivery and am still waiting delivery for my Mk1 Golf GTi item- but they were way less than half retail price.
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 08:24 PM   #4
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

I have read before that K-jet accumulators are interchangeable and there isn't much if any difference between them, this is only anecdotal on forums though and I don't have any personal experience to back that up! They are basically just a casing with a big spring and a diaphragm inside though, so if the fittings are the right size I can't see how you could go far wrong with a different part number... (Whether I'd try that given the prices is another matter!!)

Just out of interest, is it as part of a rebuild or have you confirmed the accumulator is defective?
84CoupeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-22, 06:24 PM   #5
4WDrifter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

My mechanic thought there might be a faulty one and I was trying to get one to swap in to see if it sorted problem
Old 08-10-22, 09:59 PM   #6
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

What is the problem?

There should be a tiny grub screw on the accumulator, which is on the "dry" side, if you loosen the screw and any fuel comes out then the diaphragm is defective and the unit needs replacing. Any external fuel leakage that's not the fittings is also obviously a failed unit. You can also test for residual fuel pressure in the system with a pressure gauge after shut off at various points in the system, and narrow it down that way. Buying a new accumulator is an expensive way of testing it!
84CoupeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-22, 11:55 AM   #7
4WDrifter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84CoupeGT View Post
What is the problem?

There should be a tiny grub screw on the accumulator, which is on the "dry" side, if you loosen the screw and any fuel comes out then the diaphragm is defective and the unit needs replacing. Any external fuel leakage that's not the fittings is also obviously a failed unit. You can also test for residual fuel pressure in the system with a pressure gauge after shut off at various points in the system, and narrow it down that way. Buying a new accumulator is an expensive way of testing it!
Thanks for this info we’ll get on to this during the week and I’ll keep you posted.
Old 13-02-23, 10:14 PM   #8
Gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDrifter View Post
Can someone tell me the part number for the fuel accumulators on a 1988 MB?
I can’t see it anywhere on audi.7zap.
Thanks.
I deleted mine. I think it does hold pressure in the fuel system when engine is off, so could be the reason I now sometimes have a little trouble starting when the engine is hot.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-23, 07:27 PM   #9
4WDrifter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I deleted mine. I think it does hold pressure in the fuel system when engine is off, so could be the reason I now sometimes have a little trouble starting when the engine is hot.
Thanks for this.