Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Running rich - HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 21-02-15, 01:33 PM   #11
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
see Marks post above ref air flow meter.
High tick-over suggests something amiss regards air/fueling?
Engine OFF, take a plug out......if it's as black as the hell of hells then it's running rich or you're burning something you shouldn't be.
Quote:
Assuming your's is the same then it's the box of electrics on top of the air filter box.
Quote:
The lamda sensor is checkable with a voltmeter, there'll be a you-tube vid somewhere.
Thanks John
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-15, 01:41 PM   #12
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uqmYkl7t0c
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-15, 01:58 PM   #13
leggy

Oh yeh, something worth mentioning, sorry forgot!

When I had my MOT last year they noted this in the advisory section: "rear fuel pipe slightly damaged"; not noted the year before!
Now the only thing that I can think of that may have caused this slight damage was a ramp (to prevent both loss of water pressure and damage to a huge water pipe laid across the road) that the fire services had used as a result of a major fire on the industrial estate where I work a few months before the MOT.

So is it possible also that this slight damage may be causing the smell/fumes?
Old 21-02-15, 02:02 PM   #14
leggy

Quote:
Bookmarked! Thanks John
(PS does that guy look half cut to you? )
Old 21-02-15, 02:06 PM   #15
jamiecoysh
Grown up member

hi idle may be a vacuum related issue, increased un-metered airflow might cause higher fuel usage. I'd be checking for possible split/perished hoses and the resistance across the coolant temp sender
jamiecoysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-15, 03:35 PM   #16
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Buy a Kia! Seriously, unless you have all the time in the world, this is just the beginning.

Crushed flat fuel line or leaking would be a bit scary, but won't cause rich mixture or black smoke, no.

The ramp that could have caused the 'slight damage' to your hose could have also smashed your cat, if it has one. Duff cats cause nice rich smells.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-15, 08:29 PM   #17
leggy

You and your darn Kia's missfire, is that what you drive?
Trust me, I'll make time for my car above all else; I'm even looking in to finding a lockup atm so that I can work on it when it's yuck outside in view of it showing its age more and more of late...and let me just say this, even if/when I can afford another car, I'm keeping my Audi80, so ner ner ner-ner ner

I'll get the cat checked asap, just seems odd that the smell/fumes have been more noticeable since the fire/ramp incident, so thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by leggy; 21-02-15 at 08:59 PM.
Old 21-02-15, 08:42 PM   #18
leggy

Okay John

I've checked two of the plugs, fourth and then the second from distributor, both looked okay to both me and my friend, but I took photos anyway so that you can see for yourself:

[EDIT] Yay!, success, first piccies that I've posted in a thread!

Didn't get around to checking the air flow meter, and neither of us have any carb cleaner anyway, but it's on the shopping list and we're going to Maplin's tm (Halfords is next door!). [Thinking] That said, it might be best to get the Cat checked out first. Yep, that would seem to make more sense, right?

Last edited by leggy; 22-03-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 23-02-15, 08:04 PM   #19
leggy

Okay, so I've now bought some carb cleaner...
I'm assuming that I need to disconnect the battery before using it on the air flow meter, but not sure if I need to remove said afm prior to using the carb cleaner or whether I can use the carb cleaner whilst the afm is still on the car (cover removed obviously!)...?
Furthermore, I note that the carb cleaner is a solvent, as in it disolves the dirt upon contact, but is it best to just spray it on and leave it, or to spray it on and then use a small brush to remove the remants of spray and dirt please?

I'll be checking the cat for damage asap; company in the unit next door to where I work have said that I can use their ramp, just need to wait for them to finish up some work that they're doing on a porsche, but they've said this could be as early as tm.
Old 23-02-15, 08:32 PM   #20
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Spray it. It will dissolve the oily crud a bit. Spray it again.
No need to be scrubbing; be fairly gentle.

You can also use the cleaner on the plugs, if you are feeling industrious.

It's likely similar in way to my 100, so I would disconnect the hose and lift the top of the filter box off with the flow sensor gubbins attached, and spray the cleaner.

Last edited by Hanuman; 23-02-15 at 08:36 PM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote