Thread: 2018 SORN list
View Single Post
Old 12-11-18, 09:36 AM   #19
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

There is always something to stress me out with this car and I guess the same for most running these old Audi's
I have noticed a very slight oil smell from the exhaust when hot and ticking over for the last 2 years but as there is no smoke at all on either the over run or WOT I've not been too concerned, however whilst changing the plugs as part of the annual service I noticed a small amount of oil in No2 cylinder (less than 1/2 teaspoon). After some thought this is clearly because one of the exhaust stems seals on No2 is passing oil, either the little spring has gone on the stem seal or the seal itself is perished. So dilemma. 1) Do I continue to live with it as its only an issue at tickover as at all other times thanks to the turbo there is positive pressure so it doesn't leak past or 2) do I find a way to replace the seals without taking the head off by pressurizing the cylinder or 3) go the whole hog and strip the whole top end and run the risk of requiring a head skim and all the other cost issues associated with this . Option 3 is not really an option this year as no funds or time for this amount of work and likely be out of service until next November and beyond.. Brilliant

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote