View Single Post
Old 24-12-17, 10:56 AM   #6
IronJaw
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
thermostat housing I will have but you would be better fitting a new stat and seal at the same time, can you take a photo of the housing you have fitted to your engine because there is a couple of different types
The attached photo is the only photo I have of the housing. It's totally knackered and is leaking slightly. I discovered this when I fitted a new thermostat a few months ago, I was horrified to discover there wasn't one fitted so I suspect there may be a cooling system issue I need to find and rectify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
remember to get the correct type to your suit distributor cap, ignition coils work or don't work and seem quite strange you are looking for a new one unless your coil could be looking quit bad due to age
I only mentioned the coil as I'm trying to cover all the bases. Yesterday whilst trying to coax the car back into life I was going through everything, then it started after I sprayed WD40 on the coil and leads. It may be the leads at fault. When the weather warms up a bit I'll be looking to give the whole engine bay a good clean with Gunk and flush the cooling system though.

Belts are item 8 on my list, but I won't be doing that particular job. The water pump needs replacing and I'll be giving that job to a mechanic we know who is VAG experienced. I'll have him do the belts at the same time.

Thanks for your help and reply, it is really appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermostat.jpg (29.7 KB, 11 views)
IronJaw is offline   Reply With Quote