View Single Post
Old 18-05-11, 08:55 PM   #10
jameshbond007
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
To upgrade a JS 1994cc GT.... Hmmm, there's a question?... Budget or Bank rolled?....

Suspension wise, I wouldn't (IMHO) lower it to the floor, 25mm max, (assuming your using it for 'on road/track' use)... Then uprate the Anti-roll bar and bushes, brakes next, then if you're feeling flush, power, but with the JS (and it's possibly, IMHO, one of the best 5 pots) it's a fiscal cliff face because its all expensive mechnical tuning for little/marginal gain... At best you'll get maybe 170bhp after a full rebuild and gasflow/cam etc... Alternatively, as suggested, the answer lies in a re-engineered engine bay. But then, the cost has to be weighed up against the grip available with a 2WD...
Any changes have to be on a budget unfortunately. A lottery win would make a monumental difference but then I'd probably go out and buy myself a UR Quattro and forget all about my old GT.

So far, she's had the following:

Stainless Steel exhaust (Scorpion) bought on ebay - a bit boy racer but cheaper than the replacement non-stainless unit that was required imminently.

The 13" original alloys have been replaced with 15" jobs bought on ebay from the same donor vehicle. They seem to knock my geometry out a little as I keep scrubbing tyre inners and my local 'tame' mechanic insists that the tracking is as good as he can get it.

A went to the website of Optimex in Germany and bought:

Artikel: Performance Kit
Car: Audi 80, 5-Zylinder, inkl. Diesel, konische VA-Feder, incl. GT-Coupé 81
Year: 78-86
Achslast VA/HA: 840/770
lowering: 40/30
Part NR: 2004

Powerflex bushes are now present in most areas. I can't get the correct ones for the anti-roll bar so I'm driving without it at the moment. Any that I've ordered are the wrong type and my tame mechanic has the same problem. Even without the anti-roll bar, she's handling much better than with the original sloppy rolling about suspension.

The MOMO steering wheel was another ebay purchase. It replaced the huge diameter original.

Did I mention the K&N air filter ?

I've kept my original alloys (5 off) and the old steering wheel - just in case !

At 156,000 miles, she's never going to be worth much. I bought her for £500 five years ago as a run-about when my Octavia VRS got stolen. I'd always wanted a coupe or a quattro but it was never an option for me. I'd had a VW Passat with the 2.0 5 pot engine in the past so I knew what I was buying.

Any simple tweaks or help with my bushes problem would be appreciated greatly. Long term, I really need to deal with the rust that's creeping in - wheel arches !!!!!
jameshbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote