View Single Post
Old 23-03-20, 06:10 PM   #5
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

The original trim is simply NLA. Has been for a long while, and there is zero chance of it being reproduced. It’s a complex bit of trim, and despite much detail about how to remove it without destroying it, most glass companies and bodyshops simply couldn’t give a damn- they could simply buy a new one. Until they couldn’t.

The trim was more than a trim. It was a bladder seal, a steel trim, and wrapped around the edge of the glass, providing a positive contact with the body.

The last screen install that I had done used a VW T4 style trim. It lacks the originality, but actually looks fairly clean. From a distance, very similar in appearance to the late model 100/early A6 style- black, unobtrusive.

The aftermarket chrome effect trim that was on one of my cars looked bloody awful, and never seated properly. It was simply too bulky to be accurately shaped so as to follow the profile of the front screen aperture. This then leading to a water trap in the two top corners, and the risk of leaks and rot. I’ve looked at several, and they were all similarly compromised.

If originality is your desire, you really need to salvage the trims from a car that is being scrapped- You MUST follow the audi procedure for removal. They can be salvaged if care is taken, but it’s a labour intensive job.

If serviceability and longevity is more important, then I’d suggest a practical approach, with a simpler trim that achieves the primary purpose of keeping water out.