View Single Post
Old 13-08-18, 06:45 PM   #6
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
I did a comprehensive rebuild on the quattro a few years ago, now.
Starting with a full set of struts which i'd purchased earlier, I slowly collected all the parts over time, and then built the whole lot up, to swap in one go.

A plan that almost worked. I was going to use some offset subframe mounts at the front, with the new subframe, but ran into some small technical issues (not helped by some really poor advice from a so-called quattro expert)

The result is the rear subframe is on alloy mounts, the front on poly. The wishbones all on poly. I used Koni dampers, but had no issues with the OEM dampers which i'd used about 10 years earlier, save they were due for a replacement.

I just replaced all the joints and arms in one go. The one thing I forgot was to check the steering rack gaiter. It was split, and gave up the ghost a short while later.

Track arms were fully dismantled, packed with grease, before assembly. Something i've done many times, and avoids the pain of seized arms later when you want an alignment.

parts list-
Ball joints
bushes
mounts
track arms
damper dust shrouds
(4V6-Industries) disc brake shields (time required for getting rotten bolts out from the struts)

Worth overhauling the brakes at the same time.
Hoses, calliper piston dust seals, calliper pin dust shields. Attention to any brake hardline while in there, and access is improved.

Diff mounts?
What did you think of the Konis?

The Rolls Royce of shocks in many ways!

Worth the extra money?
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote