View Single Post
Old 07-01-18, 11:08 AM   #15
Jimbo 123
Newbie!

Many thanks for all the help guys. There are a view issues I found with the car I viewed which I just want to double check are not going to cause to much of an issue/easy to sort if I do purchase the car (this can be moved to the technical area if necessary).

1) MOT advisory says that the Nearside and Offside Front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment.

Is this just a case of tightening the bolts are something more sinister?

2) There was a noticeable oil leak coming from the car down the right hand side (as you look into the engine bay from the front).

It looked like it was coming from the oil pressure switch but there was a lot of oil along the side of the engine. Could it be the case that this has sprayed everywhere from the switch while driving along? Furthermore, there was oil along the rack just behind engine (bar running from wheel to wheel - can't thick of the correct turn for it) - could this just be from the switch as well or could this be something more sinister??

The rocker cover was also leaking slightly but not too concerned about this as this was one of the items tackled on my buddy's Scirocco.

3) MOT advisory says slight exhaust smoke/blue smoke under acceleration.

The car has done 78000 miles approx, so I am assuming the valve stem seals have gone. Is it an easy job on these engines? I've had them changed on the Capri, and it was possible with the engine in place.

4) The idle was quite low and slightly erratic.

Is this one of a potential number of things or is this a common thing for these engines with an easy fix?

5) The rear offside door lock was constantly down and un-openable from the inside but could be opened from the outside.

Assuming the rod has just popped off on the inside off the door...easy fix or is the trim a pain to remove?

6) There was corrosion on the rear nearside wheel arch to the bottom right as you look into the wheel arch. The metal was 'flaky' and split (if that makes sense).

With the body work being galvanized are these more of a pain to sort 'properly' with regards to welding etc..

8) With the engine being basically VW, is the gearbox the same or is this Audi 80 unique?

7) The link to the car is here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-AUDI.../152851698765?

Is there anything else that looks dodge or out of place??

Many many thanks for the help and sorry for the long post. You guys have been very helpful so far.
Jimbo 123 is offline   Reply With Quote