View Single Post
Old 20-10-20, 11:27 AM   #9
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Hi mate.. been doing some thinking and I am wondering if I should just get the engine in first and see how it runs before pulling it apart?

This was the AAN engine I bought . It had done about 100k miles before I bought it and its since been sitting for about 10 years. I've pulled the plugs and put some oil down the cylinders and it seems to turn over by hand easy enough.

What would you guys do? Strip it down or just fit it and see?

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...ngine-for-sale
Fitting the engines the easy part, youll need the mountings off a kv/wr/etc to sit it in the right position.
Flywheel I used was a 200turbo item, original thing was hooge.
Have you got the transponder key? If not youll need to get the ecu reflashed by member Spink on here to remove the protection (also puts a map upgrade in too).
Conrods-forget em, unless youre wanting to go way over the stock rev range (which you wont) theyre more than up to the job theyre designed for.
Youll also need to alter the drive belts on the front if youre using the kv/wr type alternator and position so that means a new damper and a diamond washer or stick with the sepentine belt setup.
Exhaust downpipe will need fabbing up, I found that part easy as I had the exhaust new from Roger Galvin in stainless and the downpipe from the aan is modificatable( new word???) so it lines up quite well with a small amount of welding and fiddling.
Oil coolers an issue (mine was) used a mish-mash of aan and ur pipes to get it the way I wanted.

Id go with what Simmo's said, fit it in and run it up, itll probably be fine as long as its not a knacker already.
As he said doing it the other way means lotsa money spent and years possibly of messing... personal experience speaking there btw.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote