Thread: Brexit stuff.
View Single Post
Old 06-10-18, 03:50 PM   #25
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Hello Chaps,

Isn't democracy great?

I never paid much attention to European affairs until I noted the change of name from EEC to EU. At that point I started doing a bit more reading up about it and asked my Dad about the first referendum. On the face of it the European idea seemed noble enough, peace, trade and goodwill to all men and Britain was in economic trouble, like most countries who wanted in.

Over time I have listened to the experiences of former EU employees, all of whom enjoyed their time working for the EU but admitted to its needless wastefulness. Then I observed what happened to Ireland, which for me confirmed much of the criticism. We have enough waste and problems with our own systems of national government let alone need another layer at European level.

No one really knows what will happen when we leave, its never been done before. I'm sure there will be some chaos somewhere, come the time, but the UK is a significant economy of 63 million people. We have something to offer the world. This is something the doomsayers refuse to contemplate.

Heck, the whole world can't easily bring the various pariah nations to their knees with economic sanctions, so I think the UK will be fine.

As for the comments about the press... well we know each news source has its own bias. Its been like that since the year dot. It's funny how different people can have differing views on the same thing. My colleagues are overwhelmingly left wing in their politics and all but a handful voted Leave, yet they all consider the BBC as a Tory propaganda machine.

What isn't funny are the rumblings of press regulation coming from the EU now. On the face of it it may seem innocuous enough, but it is the thin edge of a dangerous wedge. We know the press is guilty of many things, but a free press is a hallmark of a true democracy. It has done more good than harm over the centuries.

My local MP voted Remain and has recently held a series of meetings on leaving the EU throughout the constituency. After speaking to him he says he has moved more towards the Leave camp in view of the EUs behaviour since the referendum. It has also been interesting to hear from him of the many trade bodies in Europe who have been busy lobbying their MEPs to ensure the UK gets a good deal. You just don'y hear that sort of news over here....

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too.......RK

Have faith friends.........

Last edited by Ringmaster; 06-10-18 at 03:54 PM.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote