View Single Post
Old 17-03-18, 11:28 PM   #14
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
No.

On the negative terminal* (if it has smart charging) there is a sensor which tells the ECU how many amps the battery is taking. Only if it is fully charged (and in good condition- the ECU will decide) and therefor taking very little charge, will the car be running solely off the battery.

The above is my take on it, TBH I'm not really worried about how it works just as long as it stays working!

*A cover on the negative terminal with picture showing not to attach a jump lead is a sign that it has smart charging.
I must check this tomorrow, if I can get into the boot. I tried earlier and it's frozen solid at the moment. The battery in the A6 is in the boot but I've not seen any warning notice about jump starting. The battery is running down if left idle for a few days, I thought maybe that it's just on the way out, not sure now. I did also think of something else, my sister had a 2001 A4 which developed an issue where the battery was constantly draining, even when a new battery was put in. I investigated it several times but couldn't find the source, the alternator was fine and even when I did find out a possible cause (apparently the alarm module fails and causes battery drain in the B6 and early TT's), removing the alarm module still didn't solve it. I haven't found any info online as to whether the C6 suffers any similar issues but it's got me thinking.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent there!
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote