View Single Post
Old 24-12-17, 02:20 PM   #15
Ecosse
Newbie!

An update - and unfortunatly not a lot of success ! Still basically a non starter .
I have replaced the fuel pump relay / cleaned the idle valve / dried out the air filter / replaced the idle valve relay / checked for air leaks / new coil + distributor cap + ignition leads + rotor arm / new water temp sensors on the front of the engine / checked wiring to the various sensors / replaced the thermostat - sticking I think / added fuel cleaner additive to the tank
And still it won't run properly !
The fuel pump runs ( it looks like a new pump under the rear of the car ) and after quite a few churns it will struggle into life for maybe a minute or so ( but won't idle ) and then dies misfiring . It won't restart at all for a few minutes and occasionally spits back and runs on when trying.
So where to now ? The car was laid up for quite some time - ( years ) so maybe fuel starvation ? Has the fuel filter clogged ( next on the list ) or the metering head pipe work clogged up ? I think there is a filter in the metering head as
well ?
Plugs out after a minute or 2 running - plugs not too sooty or wet - so doesn't seem to be over fuelling.
I have read that it is possible to check fuel flow by disconnecting one of the metering head pipes so that may be on the list to check.
Any further thoughts would be welcomed !
Thank you and Happy Christmas !
Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote