View Single Post
Old 14-09-17, 09:36 PM   #6
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

A friend and colleague of mine has a sideline business that sells via Amazon, EBay and few other outlets. He was gobsmacked at the packaging requirements imposed by Amazon, which effectively added on average something like 40% to the total cost of the product being sold.

The reason?
Safeguarding seller and buyer against the fact that the transport company have zero control over the min-wage scum employed to do the scut work.

In my current branch of the aviation business, I see the philosophy put into practice. If you have folk who simply go into work to get the job done, they are under such time constraints that care in handling is at best third place to time considerations.
(Remember the old 'this way up' ������������logos that comedy skits parody pointing at china?)
Sadly, such folk do not constitute a great majority.

Baggage handlers playing American football with small bags.
I see a 'crate' of mail order wine dropped five feet onto the tarmac daily, in France, where the packaging could barely withstand a careful doorstep hand delivery.

Malicious damage and sheer corporate level careless go hand in hand, and rarely are easily differentiated. Boredom is a big factor.

A certain mail provider have had 'black ball' cameras in sorting centres for years aimed at combatting the issues that rarely get filtered by the animals now known as HR.

Sadly, if you think the packaging is good enough, then at least double it. I bought some parts recently which arrived in one piece. They were wrapped for resilience, marked for careful handling, and only just survived the trip across Western Europe intact.