View Single Post
Old 30-03-17, 07:50 PM   #16
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Hopefully this helps someone as i couldn’t find anything on here when i searched..

I’ve now replaced the outer cv joints and also the front wheel bearings too. Good news is that the droning from the front right has now gone, new wheel bearings, and the clicking on full steering lock has also gone. At the same time a dropped the suspension on drivers side a little to the same as the nearside and the car has stoped pulling to the left.

Here’s a basic “how to” for the cv joints. Wheel bearings i took to a friends and he pressed them out, certainly a bit of a knack to it. Anyway..

Tools i used/needed

Large breaker bar
Impact wrench
24mm, 22mm, 21mm, 17mm sockets
Smaller wrench
hammer
something to tie the callipers up
spanners, 17, 16,
Philips screwdriver and small flat head screwdriver
tile nips, or crimper tool for boot clips
Lots of wrags! I had a blue pair towel roll

and perhaps..
Penetrating fluid and copper grease

With the car still on the ground…

Remove hub cap
Slacken axle bolt (24mm)
Slacken wheel bolts (17mm)

Raise car off ground..
remove wheel bolts
Wheel off
undo lower suspension bolt at the bottom of the strut, not sure of its proper name (16mm one end and 17mm the other!) I had to then use a hammer to tap it out, one side was a fair bit stiffer than the other..
Remove calliper/carrier (17mm) and tie up out of the way, careful not to distort the brake hose
remove disc
whack down on the lower wish bone to remove from hub
remove axle/hub bolt completely (24mm)
Pull, whack the hub away from the car to remove the hub from cv joint/drive shaft
Cut off the surclip from the small end of the cv boot, i used the small flat head screwdriver to help.
Then put the used axle bolt back in to the cv joint off the drive spline and tighten it up by hand and then the 24mm socket, this will pull the cv joint off the spline. Take note of the way the two small washer type things are sensed, you’ll need to put new ones on the same way!
Cut off the large surclip from the cv boot, again using the small flat head screwdriver.
Lay out some paper towel roll and have some handy..
Put new cv joint grease in to new cv joint.
My surclips came flat so a used a random tool to round the surclip roughly to size before putting to use..
Put small surclip on drive shaft
Put new boot on drive shaft, needed a bit of help from the small flat head screwdriver to get it over the notch on the spline
Put two small washer type things on drive shaft, in correct sense
Don’t remove the small clip holding the cv joint in place, leave the old on there and don’t use a new one. You’ll not be able to get the new one to seat properly, i tried on the first side and really couldn’t get it to sit nicely as it deforms when putting it on, and you can’t squeeze it enough once its on to get it to the correct size. ( took knows how they are put on there in the firs place?)
Put cv joint on spline, might need tapped on (put the old axle bolt on and tap that)
Clip the boot on in correct position x 2 (i used tile snips), Take your time and get this step correct!
Put joint back in hub
Knock lower wishbone back in
Replace lower bolt, this it the one with a 16mm head and a 17mm nut!
Put in axle bolt but don’t fully tighten, just hand tight will do for now
Put disc and calliper back on
Put wheel back on
Lower car
Tighten axle bolt to 200nm

Thats how to do the cv joints, I took the hub off whilst doing this which is basically

Unplug abs cable in the engine bay and feed through the wheel arch (easier than removing the abs sensor at hub), then unclip the wire in three places
Remove two bolts from strut (21mm on one side and 22mm on the other)
Knock out the hub.
Take hub to someone with a press
Press out old bearing
Press in new bearing in correct sense
Put hub back on car
Put abs cable back in through the wheel arch and plug back in

Some pics… forgot to take more..

disc and calliper off and out the way..

The abs plug on the offside, this is after I’ve moved the expansion tank out the way..

This is the grommet and cable on the wheel arch side having been pulled through..

Old cv joint off…

I had the hub swung up out the way to make it easier to get the new cv joint on..

hub now off…

New cv joint to put on…not greased up yet..

and on..

The press for the bearings on action!..

Last edited by Gmac; 18-07-17 at 06:08 PM.
Gmac is offline   Reply With Quote