Thread: Future Motoring
View Single Post
Old 04-02-20, 05:12 PM   #13
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post

Ok bit of a joke for some i'm sure but true, we used to have zero Co2 emission from shipping in the pre industrialised era, wind power. They should bring it back partially. When the ships can make use of the wind they should, That would reduce Co2 emissions an awful lot.
When I'm not working for the TV bods I crew tall ship's. Have done for many years, and agree with that statement totally. I have several friends who haul cargo from Europe to the UK. Some do Rum runs to the Carribean. It's really not that much slower than ship's with engines if you know what you're doing. Added benefits of wind turbines on the ship and solar panels give it a real edge. There is progress on solar sails as well. Given today's technology ship's can be made lighter faster and bigger.. but as yet the big boys like steel ship's and heavy oils because of the tax breaks by every government going.

Even air transport is less polluting than big ships, especially given the carbon tax now built into some tickets.

Cars are small fry but governments know they have the public by the short and curlies.. and can tax accordingly.
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote