Thread: Future Motoring
View Single Post
Old 04-02-20, 02:33 PM   #6
Davids
4 ring whore!

Hydrogen is one answer but it is costly to extract, and uses electricity to extract, other ways available as well though.

Problem with hydrogen is, old chemistry cells working here, is that you get less bang for your buck, so you need loads and loads of hydrogen to match the amount of petrol.

Transportation costs are high as you need pipe lines for central production to distribution or you need high cost extraction in many local areas which isn't cost effective to cut the distribution costs.

Also in reality where you petrol tank was is now a bomb, expansion of gasses on ignition etc.

One good method of extraction of hydrogen is by using electricity, we don't have enough or wont have enough to cope with EV in the future, need more power stations to either produce hydrogen to to power EV, sort of a vicious loop.

I'm not sure what the real answer is as from an engineers view I don't see any sustainable form of energy out there. Lithium for batteries at the moment isn't a financial viable option to recycle, and the impact on the environment is dreadful mining lithium, don't hear the greenies complaining about that do we, also cobalt, not a lot around and a dreadful stuff to deal with, again I'm sure if the mass extinction lot saw the real dangers of that they would be asking for the banning of batteries.

Perhaps Elon Musk may do what he is setting out to do and find alternative minerals in other space
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote