Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Car detailing & polishing (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Polisher reccomendations (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=35390)

hmg 08-06-16 03:20 PM

Polisher reccomendations

I'm going to be doing a bit of paint fettling on a new purchase.

I need a cheapish idiot proof polisher so I probably will plump for an orbital one? I would imagine there some more serious paint faults when only a rotary will do? Shouild I man up?

Any recommendations for a polisher ,pads and 3 or 4 essential products for under £200?

vorsprung durch technik 08-06-16 04:45 PM

I'll just start of by saying i'm not in the trade just love my cars and serious about doing a job well. I'll leave the polishing machine up to you as we all have preferences/makes but when it comes to paint rectification products i use nothing but 3M products followed by Autoglym products generally. :tup:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...pspsdrbymw.jpg

Sandro 08-06-16 09:45 PM

Sealey polisher will do job well, as Sealey pads as well.
3M, Farecla for the start - Autoglym, Meguiars for the finish

p.s. there are other brands available :D

DGSdale 08-06-16 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmg (Post 407837)
I need a cheapish idiot proof polisher so I probably will plump for an orbital one? I would imagine there some more serious paint faults when only a rotary will do? Shouild I man up?

Any recommendations for a polisher ,pads and 3 or 4 essential products for under £200?

If you've not used a machine polisher before then DEFINATELY go for an Orbital - the DAS 6 Pro comes highly recommended. I don't think there's anything an Orbital can't do that a Rotary can - it just takes longer. There's a huge choice of Cuts and Polishes and if you ask 10 different people what the best ones are you'll get nine different answers. I'm with VDT on the Auto Glym but use Menzerna products with the polisher.

baronetboyz 09-06-16 01:39 AM

I have had the same issues with paintwork but before you splash out check first that it will make any difference I checked with a body shop friend and basically a re-spray was the only answer for my car even though it does look ok until you get close.I have a 21 year old A6 C4 I got a polisher before taking advise and it really made no difference - I still polish it though and use MER Products they are German and really give a deep shine and are very easy to put on and more importantly take off even to my A6.Good luck and hope this helps.

Mike GF 12-09-16 04:25 PM

I have both a Rotary Polisher and a Dodo Juice Buff Daddy Das 6 Orbital Polisher, I can count the times I have used the Rotary Polisher on one hand, but the Das 6 is the polisher I use ever time. Buy a Orbital Polisher, if you buy a rotary you can easily damage your paint, especially on crease lines.
Always start with a less aggressive sponge like a white if that's not cutting the paint back move on to an orange then the aggressive yellow, you can also try different types of cutting agent. The less cutting back of paint you do the better your paint will last. remember every time you use cutting compound you are removing paint (clearcoat). But before you go near your car with a polisher, go to a body shop and get them to measure the depth of paint at different points on the car and they will let you know if it's safe to cut back your paint. In the end you have to be happy with what you are using or it will hardly get used, just my opinion.

David Small 12-09-16 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baronetboyz (Post 407860)
I have had the same issues with paintwork but before you splash out check first that it will make any difference I checked with a body shop friend and basically a re-spray was the only answer for my car even though it does look ok until you get close.I have a 21 year old A6 C4 I got a polisher before taking advise and it really made no difference - I still polish it though and use MER Products they are German and really give a deep shine and are very easy to put on and more importantly take off even to my A6.Good luck and hope this helps.

Any photo's of your C4 - we like photo's on here :tup:

angel 20-09-16 08:29 AM

I'm after buying a Duel action polisher 1200w or more depending on the weight , You can get the polisher and all pads off eBay for 50/70quid