Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension & Brakes (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   B4 coupe 5x112 hub conversion (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=37829)

Peacedub 23-12-17 11:58 AM

B4 coupe 5x112 hub conversion

Hi,

Apologies if this subject has been covered numerous times but I just need a definitive answer. I have some S2 wheels (5x112) and some 996 4 pot brembos (fronts). I'm looking to do a complete 4 corner 5x112 hub conversion and just wondering what I can source the hubs off. Obviously an S2 has these but they are not that common. Is it correct that the rear hubs from a A4Q b5 can be used on the front along with the bearing housing? The rears are just a case of 5x112 hub and disc swap as they have stub axles? Are there any other models I can do a cheap and easy swap? I'm so very confused!

Thanks in advance

Steve

Peacedub 29-12-17 10:19 AM

So from Mark's (VDT) advice, I contacted Pete at Quattro corner, bloody nice bloke! He stated that to do this conversion I would need the whole lot from an S2 (Hub, housing and driveshafts) and to get hold of these as 1 lot will be a mission! So might have some 996 Brembos up for sale soon :sad:

mackenzie50 29-12-17 10:40 AM

Over on S2 Forum , a member had a set for sale very recently at £450. They may be gone now but think it was Quattrodan who advertised- worth a try!

Peacedub 29-12-17 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackenzie50 (Post 438909)
Over on S2 Forum , a member had a set for sale very recently at £450. They may be gone now but think it was Quattrodan who advertised- worth a try!

Yeah I saw these, RoscoS2 enquired about them so not sure if they have sold. I think he has just the hubs and not the carriers, I also need the drive shafts but I'll give him a try anyway.

cheers

mikes2 29-12-17 11:17 AM

Depends what you are starting out from.

What car / engine is getting the swap ?

mackenzie50 29-12-17 11:28 AM

Don't suppose anyone knows if any 4x108 discs exist out there with a big enough diameter and correct 'hat'?

mikes2 29-12-17 11:56 AM

The original Focus RS used ~324mm discs and were 4x108. No idea about centre bore or offset

vorsprung durch technik 29-12-17 01:37 PM

Ok as you've put it on here i'll answer here instead of pm.

i'm not a 100% sure but pretty sure 16v driveshafts and hub carriers are the wrong type like the the rest of the lower power range will be wrong for an easy S2 hub conversion.

If your car was a V6 then the front conversion is straightforward as the driveshafts and hub carriers are the same. Just take the hubs of and press in S2 hubs.

For the rears there is something about A6 C4 front hubs that fit. Alternatively get a B5 A4 whole rear axle this will have the 5 stud already there and will increase the track by 5mm. It's the same axle as fitted to the 80 but Audi used different bearing, disc and hubs. So you could convert your 80 rear by going down the converting route. You'll also need B5 abs ring as well.

Hth.

Peacedub 29-12-17 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik (Post 438917)
Ok as you've put it on here i'll answer here instead of pm.

i'm not a 100% sure but pretty sure 16v driveshafts and hub carriers are the wrong type like the the rest of the lower power range will be wrong for an easy S2 hub conversion.

If your car was a V6 then the front conversion is straightforward as the driveshafts and hub carriers are the same. Just take the hubs of and press in S2 hubs.

For the rears there is something about A6 C4 front hubs that fit. Alternatively get a B5 A4 whole rear axle this will have the 5 stud already there and will increase the track by 5mm. It's the same axle as fitted to the 80 but Audi used different bearing, disc and hubs. So you could convert your 80 rear by going down the converting route. You'll also need B5 abs ring as well.

Hth.

Hmmm interesting, I didn't realise v6 were the same which I'm gutted about because I've just broke a v6 cab and sold everything! Ooops.

I've spoken to a few people now and for the complete S2 front setup I'm looking a grand! I know I'll never lose on the price as they will re sell but I'm not planning to sell my car,lol. I think i'll just see how I get on with standard brakes for the time being, to be fair I only do about 1k a year. Worst case I'll look at bigger 4x108 discs.

Appreciate all the info guys. At least I have something to think about.

msh 29-12-17 04:17 PM

You're listening about S2 stuff because that's the only old B series car with 5x112 - meanwhile I live in a country where metalworking tools are rather available and therefore NONE uses S2 running gear parts, as they are hard to come by, obviously.

Rear axle, IIRC, required B5 parts - for quattro I'm 100% sure that the thing needed was B5q hubs and brake discs - probably for FWD it's similar. Front hubs usually require some turning, depending on size and parts choice - parts chosen usually are from C4 or B5 - in case of 75 mm hubs, what should be your case, suitable B5 hubs might even fit. I cannot give concrete info because I'm not very interested in that - I have B5q rear hubs and discs in my possesion and if I'll really fit them one day, for the front I'll find something from C4 that will mate with my 82 mm CV joints and the rest of work will be up to turner.