Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   In-Car entertainment (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Radio wiring diagram. (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=37873)

hotsnot 04-01-18 03:09 PM

Radio wiring diagram.

So I've gone to swap the cassette player Apline headunit in my '87 coupe for a new one and the old one has been spliced into the cars wiring. I've ordered an ISO loom/socket but the diagram in the Haynes manual is sadly lacking as a useful wiring diagram. Does anyone have a better wiring diagram or failing that colour code pinouts? I will take a switched live fm the lighter cct as well, sick of having to remember to turn the radio off.

Cheers

Jase.

mikes2 04-01-18 03:57 PM

The wiring is usually fairly standard for most Audis of that age

brown - earth
white - 12v
grey / blue - backlighting
blue / red - clock

your speaker wires will be in another group and they're usually black / green or black / white

Do not under any circumstances use a blue / white wire - that is for the vehicle speed and should never be used for the stereo.

msh 04-01-18 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikes2 (Post 439296)
Do not under any circumstances use a blue / white wire - that is for the vehicle speed and should never be used for the stereo.

Well, but what if he is going to use normal stereo with GALA function? :finger: That's why that particular wire is there, and it is in ISO plug as well.

msh 04-01-18 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotsnot (Post 439294)
I will take a switched live fm the lighter cct as well, sick of having to remember to turn the radio off.

does "87 coupe" means B2 coupe? If that would be B3, then "key in ignition" signal could be taken from ignition switch - no idea if B2 have such contact in ignition switch, althought I have some doubts...

hotsnot 04-01-18 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msh (Post 439306)
does "87 coupe" means B2 coupe? If that would be B3, then "key in ignition" signal could be taken from ignition switch - no idea if B2 have such contact in ignition switch, althought I have some doubts...

It's a B2

hotsnot 04-01-18 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikes2 (Post 439296)
The wiring is usually fairly standard for most Audis of that age

brown - earth
white - 12v
grey / blue - backlighting
blue / red - clock

your speaker wires will be in another group and they're usually black / green or black / white

My Alpine head unit does have speed control, so will the blue/white be ok to use?

mikes2 05-01-18 01:22 PM

That will be the back light wire which will dim the display.

The blue / white wire is for the vehicle electrics - it's completely independent of the radio circuit