Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Outer cv joint replacement on my 80 (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=36743)

Gmac 17-03-17 11:00 AM

Outer cv joint replacement on my 80

Going to tackle this job soon as i've got a slight ticking on full lock. Any 'How to' on this? Can't find anything using the search function.

Any hints and tips would be good, tools out of the ordinary that may be required!:tup:]

A "how to" on page 2 now!

Very similar process as to how John recommends below, thanks John!

John. 17-03-17 11:33 AM

Slacken wheel bolts.
Loosen hub bolt.
Jack up car.
Remove wheel.
Loosen hub bolt a bit more.
Remove bottom ball joint bolt.
Tap down susp arm to free ball-joint.
Give hub bolt a tap to see that CV joint moves back on hub splines.....hopefully it does so remove hub bolt.
Pull hub assembly out so as to free CV joint from hub.
Free CV boot so it can be moved along drive-shaft.
Tap off CV joint.

Reassembly should hopefully be reversal of removal?! You may or may not want to replace the circlip on the shaft?
I've just done the above last week on tdi, took 30 mins max but all went to plan.:hmmm:
Torque hub bolt to FT Nms!

:tup:

urquattr085 17-03-17 11:42 AM

I concur with the above, nice summary John.
Only trouble I have had is getting the joint off the shaft, ended up removing the shaft to get a better swing at it.

Good to see I'm not the only one using the FT Index. !!!!! :tup:

John. 17-03-17 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urquattr085 (Post 424426)
I concur with the above, nice summary John.
Only trouble I have had is getting the joint off the shaft, ended up removing the shaft to get a better swing at it.

Good to see I'm not the only one using the FT Index. !!!!! :tup:

:tup:

vorsprung durch technik 17-03-17 02:05 PM

I've never done one but could have saved a fortune over the last 10 years if i had attempted it.

Nice write up John. Do the CV joints just tap of the driveshaft that easily? Does the circle need removing first?

Sie! 17-03-17 02:19 PM

Buy a good quality joint, I've had both the generic ones from GSF & ECP fail on me in the past after about 10k each... only other tool I needed was circlip pliers.

It's an easy enough job though, you'll be fine:tup:

Andy10v 17-03-17 02:51 PM

It can be a 20 min or 2 hour job, just depends how everything comes off.

Common snags are

Ball joint can be seized into the upright.
CV joint can be stuck on the drive shaft.

Driveshaft bolt is 200NM+90*

Worth checking if you need a socket or a 17mm allen key bit for the driveshaft bolt.

You can also thread the bolt back in to the CV joint, it bottoms out on the end of the driveshaft and will push the CV joint off the shaft.

You are supposed to replaced the circlip on the driveshaft, normally still works without replacing it.

Mike has a guide with pictures;

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...ot_replace.htm

mikes2 17-03-17 04:31 PM

I almost always remove the drive shaft off the car now to do these.

You should get a replacement snap ring in the kit. It's not really a circlip but it's an always replace item.

As Andy has hinted, you can use the old bolt to push the cv joint off the splines or you can just hit it with a copper mallet.

Think the lesser 80s use the 14mm driveshaft bolt so that will be a 24mm socket or a 14mm allen key fitment on the new bolt. Not sure of the torque on the M14 - think it's 120 Nm + 90 degrees.

Val 17-03-17 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy10v (Post 424435)
You can also thread the bolt back in to the CV joint, it bottoms out on the end of the driveshaft and will push the CV joint off the shaft.

+++++

Gmac 17-03-17 09:37 PM

Wow, fantastic response guys... Should manage this no probs after all the helpful pointers!!

Thanks heaps...looking forward to getting stuck in:tup: