Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Engine fault codes (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=37674)

hotsnot 07-11-17 03:38 PM

Engine fault codes

I've got a '87 coupe gt with a tsr brands hatch engine with pack c head. It has started cutting out when it hits 4.5/5k rpm. This is after a tensioner change, it did find a knackered capped vacuum pipe near the throttle body. If it has sensed the timing is out and put the limiter on, how do you clear it, before I have to take it to a garage :cryin:?

Jase

Hanuman 07-11-17 04:44 PM

Unless Im very much mistaken, which occurs fairly frequently, there ain't no codes.

Rotor arm? Basic timing?

mikes2 07-11-17 05:14 PM

What's a brands hatch engine and what's it based on ?

quattrodave 07-11-17 07:30 PM

[quote=Hanuman;436107]Unless Im very much mistaken, which occurs fairly frequently, there ain't no codes.

I agree there are no codes on the B2, no idea what a brands hatch engine is but I know what a TSR stage 3 head is - bigger valves fully gas flowed I have the original TSR brochure somewhere, is it a 4 or 5 cylinder ? as in VW golf 1.8 or Audi 1.9/2.1 ? and is it injected or carb, some basic info needed to get you help with this. Will be either fuel or ignition or could be both, is the belt a tooth out ?

Ony limiter I know on these is the spring loaded rotor arm, no electronics just mechanical old school stuff.

Colin Aitchison 07-11-17 08:32 PM

New rotor would be my first port of call, the rotor arm has a rev limiter built into it and the spring may have went week with age, a quick test would bet to super glue the rotor arm so the rev limiter is disabled.

hotsnot 09-11-17 08:48 AM

It was a 1.8, now taken out to 2ltr

http://www.tsr-performance.com/websh...valve-package/

It's had a new rotor arm, will check the cap though it should be fine.

Colin Aitchison 09-11-17 08:58 AM

If you don't want to super glue your new rotor arm fit one without the rev limiter, you can buy one, just a thought, you rev limiter may be getting triggered because you have reached your rev limit but you rev counter could be reading low.

hotsnot 20-11-17 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison (Post 436219)
If you don't want to super glue your new rotor arm fit one without the rev limiter, you can buy one, just a thought, you rev limiter may be getting triggered because you have reached your rev limit but you rev counter could be reading low.

Rev counter is fine, if l just give it a quick full rev it goes off the end. But, if you do that then back it off (this is while stationery) a bit it will do the same hovering around 5-5.5k, and the same if you build the revs up gradually, but hitting the 4.5k mark same as when driving.

Is the spring inside the rotor arm or is it part of the distributor?

hotsnot 20-11-17 09:30 PM

[quote=quattrodave;436125]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanuman (Post 436107)
Unless Im very much mistaken, which occurs fairly frequently, there ain't no codes.

I agree there are no codes on the B2, no idea what a brands hatch engine is but I know what a TSR stage 3 head is - bigger valves fully gas flowed I have the original TSR brochure somewhere, is it a 4 or 5 cylinder ? as in VW golf 1.8 or Audi 1.9/2.1 ? and is it injected or carb, some basic info needed to get you help with this. Will be either fuel or ignition or could be both, is the belt a tooth out ?

Ony limiter I know on these is the spring loaded rotor arm, no electronics just mechanical old school stuff.

Originally 1.8 4 pot k jetronic. The timing has been rechecked by the garage, my original thought was out a tooth as the hall sensor on the dizzy picks up the difference in timing some how and limits the revs - that info was gleaned fm a mk2 golf gti forum...

Andy10v 20-11-17 10:17 PM

What timing marks were checked?

The mark on the crank V belt pulley is not reliable. Flywheel, cam gear and dizzy.