Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Interior (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Coupe carpet removal (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=36638)

Davids 21-02-17 06:57 PM

Coupe carpet removal

There was me thinking I had sorted it, I had got the dash out, heater out, new foams on my flaps, all back in ok and all working, then I notice the shallow and deep end of a swimming pool in the car on both sides of the foot wells.

The car is only a few months old and I haven't driven it yet as there were a few jobs to do, heater and thermostat being two of them.

I have all of the old rotten under felt on and dried it out best I can but does any one know how to get the carpet out from under the last bit of heater duct etc under the dash area.

the centre console, seats and interior is completely stripped again but for the love of me I cant see how to get the carpet out from under the last bit of heater duct area.

Its a 1991 20V 2.3 Coupe

Please don't tell me its dash and heater out again :cryin::cryin::wall::wall::cryin:

Thanks for any help gents.

David

fourringsrus 21-02-17 07:52 PM

I took a stanley knife to it as close to the centre line as possible.
I discovered after removing the dash etc to do the matrix at a later date that the carpet has a slot roughly under the heater box if my memory serves correctly

Jake Blight 21-02-17 08:05 PM

Stanley is your friend...

The carpet and under felt in my b2 was so damp and rotten after 2 years of water ingress it just disinterested. Still haven't got round to fitting the replacement yet :shake:

Davids 21-02-17 08:41 PM

Thanks chaps, I thought that might be the answer, but its always worth checking as you never know, there may have been a trick or 2.

I suppose I am out with the hose pipe tomorrow and lock in looking for the poxy leak then.

Cheers

David

sinbin5t 21-02-17 08:47 PM

Coupe's are buggers for developing leaks when you mess with them, check all the grommets etc are still in place and intact.

Hope you get it sorted quickly :tup:

mikes2 21-02-17 09:09 PM

I used a piece of laminated paper to slide between the carpet and the bottom of the heater ducts. Carpet just pulled backwards

Worked quite well and it also helped when putting it back in.

Does your car have a sunroof ?

Jake Blight 21-02-17 09:14 PM

Mine was blocked sunroof drain holes combined with the last owner loosing the sunroof at speed. The roof was retrieved and silicone into the gap when he got home. Then alas the car was parked and left never to be driven again. The ensuing time period rotted the screen pillars and the water really took its toll.

However two years later it's back to rude health (although I had to pay private health care costs to get the body back.)

Hope you find the leak... good luck.

Davids 21-02-17 10:33 PM

Thanks again gents, no sun roof so I guess grommets and such.

Great tip about the laminated paper.

Hopefully tomorrow is a dry day so I can get to work on it.

Cheers

David

vorsprung durch technik 21-02-17 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikes2 (Post 422409)
I used a piece of laminated paper to slide between the carpet and the bottom of the heater ducts. Carpet just pulled backwards

Worked quite well and it also helped when putting it back in.

That's the approach to take! :tup:

sinbin5t 22-02-17 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davids (Post 422425)
Thanks again gents, no sun roof so I guess grommets and such.

Great tip about the laminated paper.

Hopefully tomorrow is a dry day so I can get to work on it.

Cheers

David

Just as an afterthought, one of mine had blocked drain holes in the door bottoms, they were full in the bottom and trickled water from behind the door cards, more than you would expect :yikes: :crazy: