Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Anyone fitted a WR Quattro air box in a KV? (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38473)

Richi95 22-09-18 12:25 PM

Anyone fitted a WR Quattro air box in a KV?

Hi there,

I’ve heard of people swapping in WR air boxes into a KV but the triangular opening vane won’t match up to existing air feed from the wing, as it’s a lot bigger. Just wanted to know if anyone fitted one and if they modified the chute and what they went for or just left it without the feed?

Thanks

Isimmo 22-09-18 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richi95 (Post 449720)
Hi there,

I’ve heard of people swapping in WR air boxes into a KV but the triangular opening vane won’t match up to existing air feed from the wing, as it’s a lot bigger. Just wanted to know if anyone fitted one and if they modified the chute and what they went for or just left it without the feed?

Thanks

My old KE engined GT had a Ur airbox. All of the plastic trunking in the wing goes in the bin. Ur quattro air intake is the triangular metal opening. It takes air from around the bottom of the headlight.

GT's with the plastic trunking had a habit of ingesting floodwater through it, so the Ur option is definately a wise one.

Richi95 22-09-18 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isimmo (Post 449723)
My old KE engined GT had a Ur airbox. All of the plastic trunking in the wing goes in the bin. Ur quattro air intake is the triangular metal opening. It takes air from around the bottom of the headlight.

GT's with the plastic trunking had a habit of ingesting floodwater through it, so the Ur option is definately a wise one.

Thanks for the reply issimo!

Ah brilliant! Did you notice much improvement in how it ran? I am going to give a go tomorrow, the air boxes are quite fiddly with the k jet on top!

Isimmo 22-09-18 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richi95 (Post 449724)
Thanks for the reply issimo!

Ah brilliant! Did you notice much improvement in how it ran? I am going to give a go tomorrow, the air boxes are quite fiddly with the k jet on top!

Rather than noticing any power gain, I seem to recall the throttle response being quicker and the induction noise being louder. Neither a bad thing...:nod:

slammedAudi 22-09-18 06:11 PM

I smoothed out some of the internals in the alloy box to improve the airflow, and reckon that I got a small gain.... However, it now has a tendency to ingest gravel if driving hard, every so often, I have to remove it from the back of the box, this is usually worst after driving on "tar and chip" repairs......

20vcqdriver 22-09-18 06:35 PM

Rather than all the trouble of fitting the Ur box Its just as effective to modify the bottom of the KV box and fit a K&N panel filter, All the gains without the pain :rock: Slacky now using my modified box on his and very happy with it as I'm sure he'll confirm:tup:

Richi95 22-09-18 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver (Post 449728)
Rather than all the trouble of fitting the Ur box Its just as effective to modify the bottom of the KV box and fit a K&N panel filter, All the gains without the pain :rock: Slacky now using my modified box on his and very happy with it as I'm sure he'll confirm:tup:

20vcqdriver, how did you modify your box? Did you just drill it out? Did you modify any of the plastic feed pipe from the wing? I do have a K&N already in there, just trying to help it further breathe a bit better

slacky 22-09-18 09:31 PM

I confirm I’m very happy with it , slightly confused though , as you ‘modified’ the 90(KV) by drilling a few holes in & around the lower air box .., + the k & n .

The even more modified box I had off you is on the 80 sport , which sounds great & certainly makes it more responsive :tup:

theschmallfella 22-09-18 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver (Post 449728)

Quote:

Originally Posted by slacky (Post 449733)
I confirm I’m very happy with it , slightly confused though , as you ‘modified’ the 90(KV) by drilling a few holes in & around the lower air box .., + the k & n .

The even more modified box I had off you is on the 80 sport , which sounds great & certainly makes it more responsive :tup:

Any photos of this kind of modification guys? What size holes and where?

Richi95 23-09-18 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theschmallfella (Post 449734)
any photos of this kind of modification guys? What size holes and where?

+1:D