Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   AAN Pipe dream :( (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39511)

Gaz 06-10-20 01:07 AM

AAN Pipe dream :(
 
Right.. where to begin?

Many years ago I bought an AAN motor to fit to my type 85 CQ .

But... Life happened, and it ended up tucked away never to see the light of day and was pretty much forgotten about . :(

Recently though I've been think of doing something with it. I'm just not sure where to begin?

So, hopefully somebody on here can help me realise my dream.

I guess first things I need is a list of things I need to buy to at least get the engine in the car.

So far I have:

AAN with turbo, MAF, S4 loom, (auto) ECU and standard intercooler.

So, what other bits do I need? And does anybody have them for me to buy off them?

I think I want to fit to the standard gear box unless anyone thinks that a bad idea? And I also want to fit a clutch setup that will leave me some good head room for a future turbo upgrade and some extra horse power and lbft later on.


I've had a look at the motor , pulled the plugs and poured some oil into the cylinders and I'm able to turn it over freely by hand. But given the amount of time it's been sat, I'm wondering if it will need a rebuild ?

Is there anybody on here who could do that for me at a good price ? And maybe upgrade the con rod's at the same time?

tractor Dave 06-10-20 01:38 PM

Where are you based?
If you are semi near, I could strip for you and there is a good machine shop I use who could check the block and head, hone, balance etc. Not too expensive either. The problem is that I'm miles from anywhere in West Wales.

Gaz 06-10-20 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tractor Dave (Post 463867)
Where are you based?
If you are semi near, I could strip for you and there is a good machine shop I use who could check the block and head, hone, balance etc. Not too expensive either. The problem is that I'm miles from anywhere in West Wales.

Hia.. I am not far from Llanfyllin powys?

tractor Dave 06-10-20 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz (Post 463869)
Hia.. I am not far from Llanfyllin powys?

That's not too bad. If you can get it to me, happy to help. Send me a PM :tup:

Isimmo 06-10-20 08:12 PM

When Dave asked the question it made me smile, knowing where you are Gaz.

Gaz 19-10-20 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tractor Dave (Post 463870)
That's not too bad. If you can get it to me, happy to help. Send me a PM :tup:

Hi mate.. been doing some thinking and I am wondering if I should just get the engine in first and see how it runs before pulling it apart?

This was the AAN engine I bought . It had done about 100k miles before I bought it and its since been sitting for about 10 years. I've pulled the plugs and put some oil down the cylinders and it seems to turn over by hand easy enough.

What would you guys do? Strip it down or just fit it and see? :confused:


https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...ngine-for-sale

Isimmo 19-10-20 06:43 AM

I’d do it the “Roadkill” way, get it in and get it running. Worst case scenario is you’ll find out it runs like a brick in a washing machine and you’ll have to rebuild it or, if it’s good, whoo-hoo, it’s a win. Do it the other way and the project will drift on from one large bill to the next and you won’t have a running car for years.

tractor Dave 19-10-20 07:32 AM

You can do a compression test to see where you are before 're fitting. That will give you a good idea as to how worn the internals are. :tup:
Head gasket is the most likely item that will be shot if it's sat that long. You can always do that after its fitted. :smilewinkgrin:

4v6 20-10-20 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz (Post 463973)
Hi mate.. been doing some thinking and I am wondering if I should just get the engine in first and see how it runs before pulling it apart?

This was the AAN engine I bought . It had done about 100k miles before I bought it and its since been sitting for about 10 years. I've pulled the plugs and put some oil down the cylinders and it seems to turn over by hand easy enough.

What would you guys do? Strip it down or just fit it and see? :confused:


https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...ngine-for-sale

Fitting the engines the easy part, youll need the mountings off a kv/wr/etc to sit it in the right position.
Flywheel I used was a 200turbo item, original thing was hooge.
Have you got the transponder key? If not youll need to get the ecu reflashed by member Spink on here to remove the protection (also puts a map upgrade in too).
Conrods-forget em, unless youre wanting to go way over the stock rev range (which you wont) theyre more than up to the job theyre designed for.
Youll also need to alter the drive belts on the front if youre using the kv/wr type alternator and position so that means a new damper and a diamond washer or stick with the sepentine belt setup.
Exhaust downpipe will need fabbing up, I found that part easy as I had the exhaust new from Roger Galvin in stainless and the downpipe from the aan is modificatable( new word???) so it lines up quite well with a small amount of welding and fiddling.
Oil coolers an issue (mine was) used a mish-mash of aan and ur pipes to get it the way I wanted.

Id go with what Simmo's said, fit it in and run it up, itll probably be fine as long as its not a knacker already.
As he said doing it the other way means lotsa money spent and years possibly of messing... personal experience speaking there btw. :D :wall:

Gaz 20-10-20 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4v6 (Post 463985)
Fitting the engines the easy part, youll need the mountings off a kv/wr/etc to sit it in the right position.
Flywheel I used was a 200turbo item, original thing was hooge.
Have you got the transponder key? If not youll need to get the ecu reflashed by member Spink on here to remove the protection (also puts a map upgrade in too).
Conrods-forget em, unless youre wanting to go way over the stock rev range (which you wont) theyre more than up to the job theyre designed for.
Youll also need to alter the drive belts on the front if youre using the kv/wr type alternator and position so that means a new damper and a diamond washer or stick with the sepentine belt setup.
Exhaust downpipe will need fabbing up, I found that part easy as I had the exhaust new from Roger Galvin in stainless and the downpipe from the aan is modificatable( new word???) so it lines up quite well with a small amount of welding and fiddling.
Oil coolers an issue (mine was) used a mish-mash of aan and ur pipes to get it the way I wanted.

Id go with what Simmo's said, fit it in and run it up, itll probably be fine as long as its not a knacker already.
As he said doing it the other way means lotsa money spent and years possibly of messing... personal experience speaking there btw. :D :wall:

Cheers for the info. Re the con rods, if i wanted to upgrade turbo to get somewhere in the middle of 400-500 Hp would I not need stronger rods to handle the extra torque?

I thought that extra torque was more of a reasoning for getting stronger rods than higher revs on these engine. (unless you're building a screamer?)


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2007-2008 Classic Audi | Site by Roadrunna