Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The future of Classic Audi, the forum (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39541)

Hanuman 07-11-20 10:14 PM

The future of Classic Audi, the forum

Are forums a dying species? Is Facebook the future whether we like it or not?

I’m becoming increasingly aware that I might be a bit old school. At work, and at home. I’m also firmly of the opinion that it isn’t a bad thing.

I admit that I don’t really understand Facebook. I also don’t like it very much, and only maintain a presence on it out of necessity. The best analogy I have is it’s more like an old magazine in a dentist’s waiting room. You pick up the magazine, have a read, get interrupted for your turn in the chair, and unless you take the magazine with you, there’s a good chance you’ll lose touch with the article that your were reading.

I like forums. But not too many. I’m a regular on 3. 2 about cars, and one that broadly caters for the expat community where I live (normally)
Classic Audi is the best of all the forums that I’ve tried, or been a member of.

I would hate to see it fade away completely, to be replaced by a presence on Facebook.

To trot out the lines of the song, once again

“You don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone”

4WDrifter 07-11-20 10:24 PM

Keep the forum alive!

Isimmo 07-11-20 10:50 PM

I just don’t subscribe to faceplant, titter or instantpants... Period.

As (possibly) the last surviving moderator of classic Audi I feel it has probably the best behaved, most informative, supportive, genuinely interesting and eclectic members of any Audi forum. There are also some properly iconic motorsport engineers who frequent this forum who would be lost to the classic Audi community should anything happen to it. The loss of those links to such a skilled Audi engineering ‘generation’ would be unforgivable.

When a member here posts a reply or a new post, somewhere in UK and beyond, it sparks interest from a like minded enthusiast... That’s what forum do, and it takes decades to develop that.

slacky 08-11-20 02:15 AM

I am on Facebook , but I still enjoy coming on the forum, there are far more experienced and knowledgeable people on here than Facebook, which is invaluable, and I certainly appreciate their input . It definitely needs to stay alive, in my humble opinion. ;)

John. 08-11-20 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanuman (Post 464212)
Are forums a dying species? Is Facebook the future whether we like it or not?

Voted:tup: Can relate to what you've said Mark.......I don't however think FB is the future, I've seen it a couple times.

Davids 08-11-20 08:06 AM

Needs to stay, I enjoy the site, and its a wealth of stored knowledge, its my sort of encyclopaedia with answers from people who have actually done it.

With the cars I own I look at FB for some of them, and some of the stuff you read is just utter b%llocks by clueless people who have just done a google search and then posted it.

I check it most days and there is always some thing to look at, and listen to, even if it is some of the dodgy music choices by some :shake::shake: ;)

And the banter is good :tup:

andya 08-11-20 08:38 AM

Don't use Facebook. I'm on a couple of car forums, but most days I'm on classic audi. So much information on here. Also currently laid up with a broken leg, so it's the only thing keeping me sane! Going through people's road trips and looking through old photos, dreaming the time when I can get back out to tinker!

tractor Dave 08-11-20 08:52 AM

I am really addicted to this Forum and visit at least twice a day. It's kept me sane during lockdown and is a great font of knowledge and an inspiration for new projects. Facebook as said above, take it or leave it. A lot of pub experts there.

SwallownAmazon 08-11-20 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tractor Dave (Post 464224)
I am really addicted to this Forum and visit at least twice a day. It's kept me sane during lockdown and is a great font of knowledge and an inspiration for new projects. Facebook as said above, take it or leave it. A lot of pub experts there.

Hear - Hear. This forum has helped me out many times over the years since I found it and I may have pointed one or two folk in the right direction.
Don't do FB, never have and never will. Similarly Twitter & IG. Forces for evil in my Luddite view. :fire:

Isimmo 08-11-20 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwallownAmazon (Post 464228)
Don't do FB, never have and never will. Similarly Twitter & IG. Forces for evil in my Luddite view. :fire:

:nod: