Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Portable electronic games for kids (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38237)

Hanuman 01-06-18 04:34 PM

Portable electronic games for kids

Hola, everybody

Possibly a bit of a random question this, possibly best answered by those of you with kids in (or previously in) the age range 4-5yrs old.
If you were looking to keep them entertained and out of each other's hair for a while, what games 'console' would you use.

I'll make it clear now, that I know almost as much about electronic games as I do about kids, and vice versa.

Prerequisites-
Long battery life
Self contained (ie, doesn't need a computer or tv)
Simple for adults to setup
Anything else that I haven't a clue about...

Floods gates:open

spink 01-06-18 09:04 PM

Leapad leapfrog or whatever it's called

Isimmo 01-06-18 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanuman (Post 446605)
Hola, everybody

Possibly a bit of a random question this, possibly best answered by those of you with kids in (or previously in) the age range 4-5yrs old.
If you were looking to keep them entertained and out of each other's hair for a while, what games 'console' would you use.

I'll make it clear now, that I know almost as much about electronic games as I do about kids, and vice versa.

Prerequisites-
Long battery life
Self contained (ie, doesn't need a computer or tv)
Simple for adults to setup
Anything else that I haven't a clue about...

Floods gates:open

'Games console'.... hahahaha...:lol:

It's called an ipad with animal jam app or something similar now....:nod:

Hanuman 02-06-18 01:33 AM

I thought about that, but an iPad has been discounted, for several reasons.

(Ps. I'll give you a bell over the weekend)

msh 02-06-18 07:33 AM

I don't know about British culture, but we over here have a saying that could be translated "service of bear" or something like that, coming from a story, where bear comes upon sleeping traveler, who has fly on his face, so with good intentions, bear takes big stone to smash the fly... That's something similar to situation where adults give smartphones and similar things to kids.

In my personal opinion, just buy them some Lego Basic set - well, maybe that series is being called differently now.

John. 02-06-18 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msh (Post 446625)
…..just buy them some Lego Basic set.

:tup:

My nephew has boxes of the stuff which was mine that my Mum kept!...…...good for adult brains too.

Mellis46 02-06-18 09:32 AM

+1 for lego!
My daughter will sit for ages with it. She had duplo and has moved on to lego friends now which is the pink variety, but also enjoys my vehicles etc from when i was little, they are 30 plus years old and still engaging!!

If it must be a screen of some sort, we got her a Kindle fire on her 6th birthday in a huge jelly case with squishy corners. She is 8 now its still going strong, screen intact, can swap a memory card into it for films etc but also plenty of games and a sand box mode so she can get some of the internet etc.

Hanuman 02-06-18 10:41 AM

Lego Basic Set? Is that an app? Does it work on Android, or iOS?

As a kid, I loved meccano. But that is irrelevant. Don't get bogged down with thinking about british culture, because that has absolutely nothing to do with the question that I asked, and wasn't mentioned at all.
For reference, nearly all of the relevant parameters are in the first post, which is easily found by scrolling up to the top of page one of this thread.

In my business, we use the acronym; RTFQ. Read the f***ing question. Quite often, and certainly in British culture, the question itself is the clue to what is being asked.

Ringmaster 02-06-18 11:24 AM

Consider the Nintendo range of consoles - the Switch, 2DS or 3DS.

They tick all the necessary boxes and offer a choice to suit various budgets.

Reviews for Nintendo products are also very good at the moment and, IMHO, their prices don't make you weep when the inevitable point of obsolescence is reached.... :tup:

John. 02-06-18 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanuman (Post 446630)
….. the question itself is the clue to what is being asked.

:lol: