Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   2.3 20 7A A Few Questions (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=37823)

Davids 20-12-17 05:42 PM

2.3 20 7A A Few Questions

Gents

Not sure if this is a question for answers or really some sort of comforting reply I'm after, but here you go.

Have a 1991 Coupe, 2.3 20V 7a engine, owned since last Dec and on the road since June. Car starts fine, runs fine, drives fine, temp fine, oil levels and pressure fine, does everything it should do, however just noticed over the last few weeks ( admittedly the colder weather ) I still have condensation billowing out of the exhaust even when the temp gauge reads normal.

So have a pair of brand new rads in it, flushed and cleaned the cooling system, good antifreeze and not losing a single drop of coolant.

Checked the oil and no emulsification.

Checked the exhaust after running and with the old hand trick over the pipes there isn't a hint of oil or un-burnt fuel, just condensation.

Thought it might be coolant getting in via leak or head gasket but running is fine as said and no actual water dripping out of the exhaust.

The daily trip to work isn't far, 8-10 miles each way so although the car gets hot after a few miles it never really gets a good 20-30 minute run ( Italian tune up some may know it as ).

So boys and girls of the experienced Audi 7A engine type or any experience, is this normal for this engine?
It is somewhat disconcerting as you look in the mirror seeing plumes, but as soon as you drive off nothing, only when idling. The engineer in me says it could be normal for a big engine as such, exhaust/block never really gets hot and could be full of water/condensation etc.

I have also noticed that the MPG has dropped from 30 ish ( I was doing some long runs in it then ) to around 23-25 at the moment, again runs fine, no petrol leaks, plugs fine, doesn't smell rich etc. This would tie in with not really getting the car hot and a good run but it would be interesting and comforting to hear from some long term experienced Audi owners.

I am out working tonight so wont be back to reply or thank people till about 9 ish so please fire away.

David

John. 20-12-17 07:01 PM

I think you've answered your own question.......

No loss of coolant, no oil contamination, engine runs fine.......then don't worry.

My coupe is the same incidentally in cold weather.

Regarding the MPG.......I wouldn't overly worry!

:tup:

mikes2 20-12-17 08:02 PM

Sounds normal especially on cold days.

audisport8680 20-12-17 08:11 PM

same here on cold days

msh 20-12-17 08:40 PM

When that time of year comes, when sometimes someone makes thread with such question, I usually use this picture to illustrate how exhaust of normal engine looks like

http://content5-foto.inbox.lv/albums...a/IMG-2240.jpg

Davids 20-12-17 09:03 PM

Thanks chaps, comforting to know not just mine, strange as the old 320 turbo diesel never used to do it, guess it is a trait of the Audi. Got to replace the rear calipers over Christmas, so might just give it a good run and get it nice and hot.

Cheers and Happy Christmas

quattrodave 20-12-17 09:13 PM

Bit late but I can confirm that my own 7A engined 90 quattro has done this in cold weather since I first purchased it in 1998, I'm having he same issue now on my 1.8T A4 quattro so not worried.

Just to confirm my car typically got 20-22 to the gallon on the 30 minute 5 mile jam into work, don;t miss that trip anymore :D

Davids 20-12-17 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quattrodave (Post 438457)
Bit late but I can confirm that my own 7A engined 90 quattro has done this in cold weather since I first purchased it in 1998, I'm having he same issue now on my 1.8T A4 quattro so not worried.

Just to confirm my car typically got 20-22 to the gallon on the 30 minute 5 mile jam into work, don;t miss that trip anymore :D

Thanks for this, it's a bit different now from my old oil burner, used to get 45mpg knocking about town. I would cycle it but it's a country road full of lorries, ah well.

Cheers

quattrodave 21-12-17 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davids (Post 438458)
Thanks for this, it's a bit different now from my old oil burner, used to get 45mpg knocking about town. I would cycle it but it's a country road full of lorries, ah well.

Cheers

Hmm, we owned a 1.9 TDI mk4 golf (130BHP) for years as a 2nd car, typically 45 round town and 60 on motorway, even better when I cleaned out the EGR to engine inlet manifold of all the crud and blocked off the feed to it, then got up to 65 on motorway feeding it clean air only with no recycled crud :tup:

Audiden 21-12-17 04:27 PM

I had a Coupe 2.6 & that was the same. Had just bought the car, immediately had to have the heater matrix replaced, then once I started using it I thought oh no regards the steamy exhaust gases!

But a good long run soon had it emitting no more steam than any other car, so can only assume the exhaust silencers were full of water from stop/start driving.