Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Interior (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What Glue for interior trim plastics? (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38070)

Isimmo 23-03-18 02:25 PM

What Glue for interior trim plastics?

What's likely to be a low mess, high impact plastic glue for discreatly repairing the door card lower door pockets on a B2 interior...?

I don't really want a snot fest and have seen so many 'world's best glue for gluing glue to glue... EVER'...bollocks, that frankly, I'd sooner go with a decent recommendation....:nod::smilewinkgrin:

Many thanks in advance.
Ian

vorsprung durch technik 23-03-18 03:50 PM

Anything 3M is always very good. :tup:

Davids 23-03-18 05:28 PM

What bits are you actually sticking? is the actual plastic or is it cloth trim to plastic ?

David

darreno'd' 23-03-18 08:01 PM

Superglue and baking powder

Isimmo 24-03-18 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davids (Post 442924)
What bits are you actually sticking? is in
nn the actual plastic or is it cloth trim to plastic ?

David

To clarify, it's plastic to plastic, the door pockets back to the broken plastic screw holders. It's really hard to explain, but put simply, if we put small things in the door pockets they can drop out the bottom when you open the door.

SwallownAmazon 25-03-18 11:34 AM

Sorry to be a bit of a pessimist but take it from one who was at one time an adhesives chemist, nothing will effect a permanent repair except "welding" the broken parts together with heat. An alternative would be a mechanical fixing of some sort.
I had to repair a broken ABS fixing lug on one of the front sidelights of my BMW 740 Sport recently; I did that by using pins to splint the broken parts together and then burying the pins in polyurethane sealant. The sealant still peels off the ABS but the repair is sufficiently strong to hold it together. (New "crystal" sidelight for the facelift E38 is approx £130! :eek: )

Davids 25-03-18 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isimmo (Post 442995)
To clarify, it's plastic to plastic, the door pockets back to the broken plastic screw holders. It's really hard to explain, but put simply, if we put small things in the door pockets they can drop out the bottom when you open the door.

I had to repair my door panel as one was cracked, also the only thing we ever found that was near to successful for plastic repairs was a very good PU adhesive, Sikaflex or Wurth PU adhesive sealants are very good.

Nothing will repair successfully edge to edge but if you can get a bead behind, and even better if you can reinforce with some thin ally, perforated is best, then this can be successful.
My door card don't move now with this method and I was even able to wipe a bit of the PU into the facing part of the crack which helped to disguise it,

I have done a few door cards and bits of trim with a plastic bumper weld kit but you also need to paint really after this.

Give it a go with a tube of PU adhesive, degrease well, rough bonding surfaces, secure after gluing with tape o something like this and give it a good few days to go off before you touch it.

Cheers

David