Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Rear bumper advice please (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=37599)

urquattr085 08-10-17 09:42 PM

Rear bumper advice please

Hi all,

Removed the rear bumper from my ur yesterday ready for a bit of a tidy up.

Inevitably a couple of fixings snapped :grr:- where the bumper is fixed in the rear wheelarch (M5 cap head screws that fix into a threaded insert - part no. N 030 355 1).

I know the inserts are available online, does anyone have any advice on removing the old ones? Just a matter of drilling out the remains of the bolt and pulling the old insert out?

Any knowledge out there would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. :tup::tup:

vagdream 09-10-17 07:43 AM

I used a Dremel with a mini cut off disc and chopped it off from the inside lip of the wing.

Colin Aitchison 09-10-17 08:04 AM

There was very little good metal left on my Ur that I had to weld in a new metal strip, drilled holes to suit the inserts and new screw fixings.

urquattr085 09-10-17 05:53 PM

Thanks guys.
I need to have another look (it was getting dark when I finished on Saturday) but I didn't see how I could get at the threaded fixings, they seemed to be enclosed within the lower rear arch.

sinbin5t 09-10-17 06:20 PM

They will be riv-nut type fixings, if you just drill them out you may end up with a hole that's too big, do you have a Dremel ? if so just carefuly take the front face off then remove from behind, that way you can use the existing hole for the replacement riv-nut (or captive nut if you prefer) and it will be as good as the old one's were when they were new.

:tup:

urquattr085 09-10-17 07:52 PM

Thanks mate, all kind of makes sense.
Obviously need to get a good look in decent light. :tup:

sinbin5t 09-10-17 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urquattr085 (Post 434985)
Thanks mate, all kind of makes sense.
Obviously need to get a good look in decent light. :tup:

Let me know how you get on.
Just a though, you could carefully drill whats left of the bolt out and then run a tap through the existing fixings to clean the threads up, that could be an easier way to sort it perhaps.

:tup:

urquattr085 09-10-17 09:20 PM

That was going to be my 1st approach and then see if I need to pull the inserts, iirc I have 4 to do :(

sinbin5t 10-10-17 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urquattr085 (Post 434989)
That was going to be my 1st approach and then see if I need to pull the inserts, iirc I have 4 to do :(

Go for it, shouldn't take long hopefuly then it's big grins for you.

:tup::tup::tup:

urquattr085 10-10-17 05:43 PM

Cheers, will let you know how I get on. Might be a couple of weeks before I get to it though.