Classic Audi

Classic Audi (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   *Rant* Old duffers going to church.... (http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=36995)

audizzz 14-05-17 04:38 PM

Yup, see it all the time, live in a village in oxfordshire and have either boy racers or pensioners on the roads.

Seems that for the oldies the accelerator pedal is preset to make the car do 40 at any time and also noticed that new cars have no indicators, obviously an horrendously expensive optional extra.

Give me an old audi any day with working indicators.

Rapidly approaching the time when I shall need retesting and have warned family and friends to take my keys off me if there is any sign of any of the above behaviour.

(Doesn't mean I won't put up a fight to keep them.)

missfire 14-05-17 07:36 PM

The Kiwis test every five years I think, not a bad thing in some ways.

My other half's gran was driving into her eighties, could drive a 7.5 tonner, legally, tow a massive trailer, in fact she could probably tow a massive trailer with a 7.5 tonner, legally.. one of the worst/rapidly accelerating/most frightening drivers I've ever seen, she was terrible, she thought bollards were to tell you when you'd reached the end of a parking space, by the crunching sound. And I can't do any of that because I passed my test after 1997! There are definite glitches in the system.

sinbin5t 14-05-17 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missfire (Post 427348)
she was terrible, she thought bollards were to tell you when you'd reached the end of a parking space, by the crunching sound.

Sounds like my father in law, he attacks buses with his old giant lump of a Volvo too :yikes:

:lol::lol::lol:

missfire 14-05-17 08:03 PM

That would be a big crunch! :eek:

sinbin5t 14-05-17 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missfire (Post 427352)
That would be a big crunch! :eek:

Well his Volvo doesn't look like it used to anymore :lol: front and rear bumpers have gaffer tape hiding the big holes in them, the drivers door is an out of this world shape with a window that's stuck solid part way down, and the paintwork is nothing but scrapes and scratches :yikes:
Best bit is he had the front end completely re-built last year after deciding a bus wasn't going fast enough, so he pulled out on it, he slips the clutch like mad all the time when setting off so that 5000 revs=3 miles an hour :crazy:
It would be funny if he wasn't such a danger to himself and others but it's just scary !

Hanuman 15-05-17 11:03 AM

Charity and consideration for their fellow man, demonstrated in spades.

Due to lack of parking near their church (caused partially by the locked barrier blocking access to the car park), they frequently park in such a way as to make the local roads impassable, parking up on the pavements, taking up two spaces with one micro, and overhanging driveways.

I'm thinking of walking in to the church and handing out leaflets-

'Thank you for blocking access to my driveway, screwing up my Sunday morning plans, and being a selfish git. Please let me know where you live so that I can fully embrace your philosophy, and do unto you...'

mackenzie50 15-05-17 08:09 PM

It's nice to know i'm not the only one who suffers the current (and forever) plague of old people on the roads....'fraid i lost my sense of humour some time ago, as they really make life hell for anyone in a need to get anywhere, at anytime...
I do c.30,000miles a year for work and find them unbearable ..
it is a very selfish generation of oldies we have now..
and in the future i'm guessing 'twon't be any better, with extra millions of them joining the already swollen ranks of incompetent, unaware, uncaring old 'drivers'....
makes me wanna hang up my keys just to avoid them but at 57, can't retire!!
Now, help me find my sense of humour from its place of hiding???

msh 15-05-17 09:36 PM

Well, apparently there ARE some national differences tough. Over here old drivers, if they behave strange, then they are slow and may make some awkward maneuvers, but I haven't heard about any old driver doing some strange acceleration or so - well, I've heard from a pal that my grandfather once tailed him on road @ 130 kmph - I was surprised. Usually old drivers here are like my other grandfather used to be - drove @ 80-90 kmph on road max, and used to drive even slower, and when we once went for a shopping in a two different cars, he in his 1.3 mk2 golf, and I in a B4 1.9 TD which was barely moving forward [boost could be felt only in first gear] , I had to back off very soon so that he wouldn't fall far behind... This difference could be because when your retired drivers were at their prime, they could enjoy V8 engined rovers, while ours, if they were situated good enough, could enjoy "little lux" ladas, some even with whopping 1.6 litre engines [the others 1,3 or 1,45]! :yikes: , and that was essentially the fastest cars available here to ordinary person - doctors, factory managers etc could have volgas, but these with their 2.4l I4 engines were no faster...

The other national difference is ability of someone in UK to drive easily past school @ 40 mph - over here in past decade we have built two speed bumps near each school, although their design varies - one can pass at such speed my school, if the car is hatchback with stiff suspension - I have to pass another school every time I go to church sunday service, and there are such speed bumps I don't give damn about them [built so that HGV's would miss them], while in my current village there are metal speed bumps which makes everyone to slow down to 5-10 kmph max...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isimmo (Post 427333)
Yes, you're completely right....

But it's fun though...

I'm not about writing about that, but about feelings when driving ;) I used to be angry when someone drives slowly in front of me - currently - depends on situation, but very rarely. Reminds me one such encounter - after church service I had to drive behind one slow woman for a few kilometres, but I had such a good mood so I just happily waited, until finally the engine of my golf had a chance to get a fresh air and start roaring acceleration... :devil:

missfire 15-05-17 10:08 PM

I've known a lot of people who hang up their keys of their own accord eventually, my father in law has been talking about it increasingly for a few years now, he isn't that old but he's pretty slow on the road, crazy revs and low gears, maybe it's a bit of bad eyesight, partly his back on long journeys and partly he maybe knows he's behaving in an unusual way compared to everyone else on the road, but he's accepting it and he's going to stop before he causes any trouble. It's the one's who keep going regardless because they're getting away with it that are the problem, while everyone else on the road 'compensates' for them.

Maybe that's the problem, maybe if we just all start not avoiding the accidents that they'd cause if we didn't compensate the police might do a review eventually, lets ram them from tomorrow onward!

sinbin5t 16-05-17 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missfire (Post 427413)
I've known a lot of people who hang up their keys of their own accord eventually, my father in law has been talking about it increasingly for a few years now, he isn't that old but he's pretty slow on the road, crazy revs and low gears, maybe it's a bit of bad eyesight, partly his back on long journeys and partly he maybe knows he's behaving in an unusual way compared to everyone else on the road, but he's accepting it and he's going to stop before he causes any trouble. It's the one's who keep going regardless because they're getting away with it that are the problem, while everyone else on the road 'compensates' for them.

Maybe that's the problem, maybe if we just all start not avoiding the accidents that they'd cause if we didn't compensate the police might do a review eventually, lets ram them from tomorrow onward!

Well the father in law is just an old git that thinks everybody else is at fault, he can't drive properly but is not bothered what anyone thinks even when he is spotted and told by family, needless to say he is in the car alone as nobody is brave enough to get in with him.

As for the second part of your post misschief all i can say is :nod:
:lol::lol::lol:
:tup: